Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Questionable Life Choices

I almost forgot my blog post today.  It is 8:57 pm, and my goal was to be in bed by 9:00.  Yikes!  Out of necessity, this will be a shorter one.

Tomorrow I have a final project due for one of my grad school classes.  This has led me to an essential question:  Why do these projects have SO MANY PARTS?!?  This program is designed for those who want to be literacy coaches or, in my case, just want to become better reading and writing teachers.  So why do they assign us projects that are not real-world realistic? This particular assignment has taken me probably 10 hours to complete.  In a nutshell, it is a handout/book talk video about a content area book that can be used in the classroom.  For another class, I did a lesson plan that took me five hours to write.  FIVE HOURS!!!  WHY?!?  How is this going to be help in my job now or in possible future positions?  It's insanity, I tell you,  Insanity!  Why did I choose to pay for torture?!? Just a semester-and-a-half to go...

3 comments:

  1. I remember how stressful grad school was. Hang in there; I believe that moments like this prepare us for our future work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am chuckling, but not at your pain. I chuckle because these are the kinds of things that drive me crazy - and so many teachers, at all levels, do this to their students. Hang in there! (I am also hoping you get to give your professors some feedback so they can think about their choices.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this experience will definitely be one that can help you in your classroom, even if it is to think about why we do the things we do. My daughter is just months away from finishing hers, and we had this same conversation last night! You can do this! Hang in there and keep pluggin away.

    ReplyDelete