Sunday, September 2, 2018

Blogger Wants to Know If I'm Still Alive

I found out that if you don't post for awhile (okay, for forever), Blogger will send you e-mails to make sure you are still around.  Who knew?!?  Yes, Blogger, I'm alive.  Thanks for checking up on my slacker self!

Since I needed to verify that my heart is indeed still beating, I suppose I should make my check-in worthwhile and actually write something.  Since it has been...cough, a few months, cough, since I've posted anything, I do have things to report. 

I taught summer school (again).  I have new wood floors (not a fun process, but they look nice).  I started grad school (paying for torture).  My roommate moved out (sniff).  A new roommate moved in (yay!).  I wish I could find another roommate but have been unsuccessful (anyone know anyone?).  I tutored a student during the summer (she fills my soul in a way I can't describe).  School started again (best kids and co-teachers ever).  I want to move closer to my sister more than anything, but it's too expensive ($$$).  I have once-and-for-all decided to adopt.  And that is where I will expand some.

As previously noted, I have a great desire to have children.  I have accepted that biologically it isn't going to happen.  It's been a very difficult path to acceptance, although it I will say it helps considerably that I am the biggest pain wuss you'll ever meet.  This was always a possibility for me, but marital circumstances and then divorce nailed that coffin shut.  I have never given up the dream of having children, though.  Whether it was by being a stepmom or through adoption or both, it is something that I have wanted.

Not too long ago I made serious inquiries about international Deaf adoption.  I tried every which way I could think of to make it work, but in the end I just couldn't imagine paying $30,000+ to adopt when we have kids here who need homes and those adoptions are free.  I thought about fostering as a way of dipping my toes in, but in the end I decided what I really want to do is provide a permanent home for kids who otherwise might not find one.  I went to an information meeting and signed up to take the mandatory 35-hour class.

Then school plus grad school started.  I QUICKLY realized I could not do it all.  My plan was always to adopt as close to after grad school as possible but not before. That is December of 2019. I also remembered that adoption licensure has to be maintained.  I have to take 20 hours of classes every year after the first year of licensure.  Since December 2019 is a year and a half away,  I would take the 35 hour class, get my license, and then have to take 20 more hours a year later.  On top of that, this summer I actually don't have any grad school classes because of the way the schedule worked out.  That would be a MUCH better time to take that class.  Taking all of that into consideration, I decided to put my plans on hold.  The only reason I hadn't done so sooner is that I have gone back and forth on this so many times, I didn't want the doubt to creep in yet again.  That and I looked at photo listings and fell in love. But it honestly is not quite the right time.  Close, but not quite.  So the plan is still in place with the original time table.  It will happen.  Just not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment