Sunday, April 26, 2020

Japan Day 4 Tokyo/Kamakura


What is a trip to Japan without going to Tokyo?  When we first planned this trip, we were going to go to the Tokyo temple my church has there.
Unfortunately, it was under repair, so we couldn't.  At the time I admit I wasn't too upset.  It was a trip with a lot of traveling and being hot and sweaty...I just wasn't feeling very "churchy."  Now, though, I admit I am disappointed we couldn't.  It would surely have been an amazing experience.  Oh well.  There's no use worrying about things you can't change, and location isn't what makes a temple special anyway.  It's what happens inside, which is the same around the world.

So we went to the Ginza instead.  This is a large hoity-toity shopping district in the city.  When my dad served his mission, the area was off-limits, so he really wanted to see what he wasn't able to those many years ago.  As it turns out, not much.  It's probably more impressive at night when everything is lit up, but during the day it is just....a lot of tall buildings.

 
Definitely worth checking off the list, but there you go.  Shopping centers looks the same around the world!

After that, we went to a beautiful shrine and temple with a large outdoor market in front of it.  I did not get pictures of the market, but just think a farmers' market but for touristy things and you get the idea. My favorite part might have been the large, covered area with misters.  It is HOT in Japan, people!






Japanese architecture is just stunning, and I never got tired of seeing the shrines and temples.


No comments:

Post a Comment