Sunday, August 11, 2019

Japan Day 2 Nikko


(To give an idea of all the train traveling we did, I have included maps of the different stages.  This was the trip taken on Day 1, actually.  Unfortunately, I inserted all maps one day off, and it was entirely too much work to redo it.  I figure the point is still there.  :) )

The sightseeing on this day began with a trip to the Shinkyo Bridge. 



Along the way we had to cross another no-name bridge.  This was actually the first one we came to, and I was so struck by the landscape that I had to stop for a picture.  Little did I know how many more scenic pictures were to come!




mostly took place UNESCO World Heritage Centre where there is a large complex of ancient shrines and temples.  Japanese architecture is so unique!


















One thing I found very interesting was the emphasis on leaving wishes/desires in various places using various methods.  In one area, the focus of these wishes seemed to be on relationships, and at the cajoling of my father, I left one of my own.  For this particular one, you start by buying a fortune.  Mine was...unexpected.

As it turns out, the love of my life is running late and I need to have some patience! 

After one buys a fortune, you tie it on to any one of a variety of places such as structures designed for that purpose, hung string, or even tree branches.  I chose to tie mine to a structure that I thought looked like a heart because why not?  However, in keeping with my romantic luck, as I was trying to make sure it was tight, I ripped it!  I don't even want to know what that means for my future!  My dad and I could not stop laughing.  A highlight of the trip for sure.


We spent the morning at the World Heritage Centre.  With the heat increasing and not much else to see in the area (at least, not without spending more money and we needed to pace ourselves), we decided to head home.  We couldn't figure out the AC for quite some time, so this was the solution.  By the time, we did, it had already started to cool down.  Oh well.  All the places we stayed in used the same kind of unit, so at least we knew going forward what to do!



Japan is hot, ya'll! Especially when you can't figure out how to use the AC.





No comments:

Post a Comment